Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Therapy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 I recieved this this morning from a friend I have gotten to know on Facebook. 

Miss Flo,
  After becoming acquainted with you and some of the girls. It has just fascinated me at some of the things ya'll do.
Gussie's first round of cancer hit her around 1999-2000 and it was very scary. The first part of this attatchment. I  wrote back then.
I updated it here recently and wanted to share it with you. I thought about putting it on line but not sure how. If you would,
Please read this story and let me know what you think and if some how it might help encourage others to see life is what 
you make it.
                 Thank You,
                     So Very Much.
                             Charles Abbott
                               Cropwell, Alabama. 


Good Therapy/Great Therapy.                           February 15, 2010
  My wife and I moved to Fort Smith in the 1998 because of my job. While we were out there we discovered she had breast cancer. It was devastating. All our family lived in Alabama. Shortly after all her treatments we moved back to Alabama. I wrote an article that was published in the Wing World Magazine (GWRRA) about her and would like do an update on it.
This is the article below that was published in February 2002.

Good Therapy
I was reading some of the letters in the “P.O. Box” section [of the December issue]. When I read the one about “Mr B’s Big Day” I just wanted to share something with you.
My wife Gussie and I have been married for 26 years, and when we were younger we used to ride, but the last eight or nine years we stopped. About four years ago my job moved us from Alabama to Arkansas. Shortly after we moved, my wife found out that she had breast cancer. She had to go through several months of chemotherapy and radiation.
  One summer, we came home for vacation and a friend of ours with two motorcycles insisted that Gussie and I take one for the day and go for a ride. It sure did bring back old memories! After we finished our vacation and started back to Arkansas, as we were riding along not saying much, my wife blurted out, “We need to get another motorcycle.” I never dreamed we would ever get another motorcycle. I asked her, “What brought that on?” She replied, “After going through my breast cancer, it has made me realize that you don’t know when your time may be up, and that life is too short not to do something that you enjoy.” She felt it might be good therapy for her and would help keep her mind occupied.
  She wanted to get a new motorcycle, and we had always said that if we got another bike it would be a Gold Wing. We had never owned a Gold Wing before, but bought a new one in August 2000 and started riding again.
  This last Christmas we came home to Alabama for the holidays and I was offered a great job opportunity. So we moved back to Alabama. Both of our families live here, and I felt it would be better for her if she was around family to help her get through her cancer.
  I want you to know that buying that Gold Wing was the best thing that we have ever done. We have only about 12,000 miles on it, but the freedom you feel when you are out cruising the countryside and the mountains has been the best therapy for my wife. We have since bought a trailer and have been trying to attend some of the rallies. We just got settled in our house here and hope to go a lot more this next summer.
  I am 47 and she is 45, so we plan on putting a lot of miles on this bike. Right now she is doing great, but you never know when or if her disease will ever come back. She is the love of my life and whatever I can do to make her happy and to enjoy the things she likes to do I will.
  I am not a writer and I am not very good at putting words together. We have met a lot of new friends and I am thankful for friends and being a proud owner of our first Gold Wing. I am also proud and lucky to have such a wonderful wife. This has been the best therapy for her and me.     
       Charles Abbott. Jr.   GWRRA #158250
Good Therapy/Great Therapy                        February 15, 2010

  After getting settled here in Alabama I lost my right eye in 2004. I had a hard time getting used to it and My wife and I decided to get the bike Triked. We took it to Kentucky to the Hannigan factory and had it triked.
  We enjoyed it very much and my wife felt more comfortable since we had three wheels under us.
  In the Summer of 2006 we took a trip on the trike to Colorado Springs, Co. We had a great time and made a lot of new memories.
  In the summer of 2007 we were going to take a trip to Martha’s Vineyard. Four days before we left I had a Quadruple By-pass. We were not able to make that trip.
  In the summer of 2008 we were going to Utah when I had another Quadruple By-pass.
And had my mitro valve  worked on. Didn’t make that trip either.
  I had stints put in January 2009.
  In January 2009 we bought my wife a 2000 Model Honda Shadow Spirit because she wanted to learn to ride. I thought this was great. I started talking to her about selling the trike and buying me another two wheel. I had been riding hers some and seemed to be used to not having my right eye. I told her that we were in another chapter in our lives and that the Gold Wing was good Therapy for her and the new Motorcycle would be good therapy for me getting over my heart surgeries. She agreed, So the first people that looked at the trike bought it. I decided I wanted to try a Harley Davidson so we went that day and bought a 2009 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Classic in June 2009. This was my first Harley.
I love it!
  Well about the second week of July my wife found out she had breast cancer again. She had been cancer free for nine years. They had to do a double mastectomy and do the reconstruction and it has been an ordeal.
She has her last surgery March 8th 2010. She is doing good considering.
   My doctor retired me but my wife still works. So now after all that it looks like the New Harley is going to be Therapy for the both of us. She should be able to start riding hers again about the 1st part of April. We plan on taking as many trips as we can this summer. Creating new memories. I am now 55 and she is 53. We have been married 35 years now.
  I told her that one of my ambitions in life was to live long enough for us to wear the new Harley out. We have had the new Harley about 7 months and already have 6,000 Miles on it. The women who are riding the Conga to raise money for breast cancer research are really “Angels” in disguise on their “Iron Horses”. We have been thru the Dragon on the new Harley, but my wife hopes to be able to ride her Honda Shadow thru the Dragon this spring. We both want to live life like there is no tomorrow because you never know. I love her with all my heart, Mind, Body and Soul. She is my world, and the air that I breath.
  Angels, You have my prayers, admiration, and best wishes. We just hope we get to met some of you one day.   

                                      Thanks Forever, 
                                        Charles Abbott
                                          Cropwell, Alabama            
 


No comments: