Monday, March 15, 2010

My friend Harris in Denver

Harris is a man I met through Youtube of all places. I have never actually met him, but he caught hold of one of my video clips of me practicing RLAP. He commented on them and told me I obviously had good teachers. So of course I told my story. I watch all his clips and continue to learn from them. He even sent me a little booklet on riding.
After the Conga go underway and I knew we were going to be not far  from Denver, I asked him if he would be interested to meet and ride, and set up an obstacle course.. Right, forgot to mention, he trains Motor Officers. Wow, how lucky are we?  So he has agreed to show us around and to set up a parking lot workshop. Here is his response to me.
I'm definitely planning on seeing you when you're in Cheyenne and, given some warning of exact dates, should be able to take some time off work. 

The last thing I want to do is take over any plans you may have.  However, if you'd like like there are many great rides that could use Cheyenne as a base.  Some examples:

1) Leave Cheyenne to the south on I-25, to Loveland, CO; then head west  up Big Thompson Canyon to Estes Park.  There enter Rocky Mountain National Park, and go over Trail Ridge Rd. (the highest paved through route in North America).  At the western end of Trail Ridge, turn north on CO 125 to CO 14, then turn back east to Ft. Collins, and then back north to Cheyenne.  This would be a good all day trip.

2) Start out as above until Estes Park, but then turn south on Peak-to-Peak Highway, then down Coal Creek Canyon, then back to Cheyenne.  This would be an easier all day, or even a good 6 hour run.  There also would be time to add Mount Evans (ride the paved road to the top, over 14,000 feet).

3) Head up to the Black Hills of South Dakota.  This would be 1/2 day each way from Cheyenne.  So it would only make sense to plan on staying the night there if this trip is selected.  The Black Hills contain: Mount Rushmore, Iron Mountain Rd, Needles Highway, Crazy Horse Memorial, Sturgis, Spearfish Canyon, and Devil's Tower. 

Of course my plan at the moment is no plan.  I want to meet you, Donna and Jerry.  Beyond that consider that I am at your disposal.  

Harris



No comments: