Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Recieved a letter this morning

I put no names  but I recieved this , this morning, and they are all great questions that I have been asked before. I will now answer for the whole word to see what drives me.

 September 13 at 10:51pm
hi flo!

how goes life in whatever part of the country you're in now? doin' okay here in the great white north (western massachusetts). been riding, but not as much as i'd like because health has gotten in the way recently, but i haven't stopped yet, and don't intend to, either.

Live is going pretty good in this part of town. I live on Vancouver Island at the moment which is as far west as you can go in Canada or I'd be going for a swim ;) We are looking to move off the Island as there are so many more roads to ride and easier to access as it appears I may have found my calling. They are calling me off the Island LOL I am so sorry to hear that you are having health issues, but happy to hear you are still riding, I have found that the best medicine for any health issues and of course we know it is the best therapy.

have a question or three, if you don't mind. i mentioned you and congas to my sweetheart last week, and he asked me to explain what the hell i was talking about, so i did, as best i could. the three questions i couldn't answer were these: 1. how do you decide where to conga?; 2. how long do you conga?; and 3. where do you live when you're not conga-ing?

How we decide in where to Conga has been fairly easy these last 3 years. The first two years was from Florida to Home on Vancouver Island as I purchased a RLAP bike from Donna and Jerry Palladino . This year, it was in Cheyenne Wyoming because that is where Donnas son is stationed and she would be going to see him. We are best of friends and founders of the Congas so very important to see her. We called it the meet in the middle and a little easier for others coming in different directions to get there. To this point it has mostly been the southerners involved. Alot of help from  those involved on FB as to what friends they can encourage to ride and how far away they live, time off work etc. I conga from the time I leave for the trip till I get home. Some people only can do it for a mile or two, I like to if I  can find someone to go with go for a month. I include my vacation with the fund raiser, and I save all year. I have to say, I best get a job soon or it is going to be difficult unless I can find some good sponsors.

i've been looking through your pics, and i have to say that it's a darned good thing that you look good in pink (a lot of people don't, myself included); Lord knows you wear enough of it!

well, thanks on the pink thing.. I came home and went right back to black and it just didnt feel right. I have come to  love pink. You think I would be sick of it, but it is a bright cheery color. A happy color.

are you a breast cancer survivor, or is it that you have friends and/or family that are, and you've felt that you're called to do something about it? which ever it is, you certainly feel strongly about it. i don't think i've ever come across anyone, including the women that i know that are survivors, that works as hard as you do to raise money for the battle.

I am not a breast cancer survivor. The reason it was chosen at the time was....I wanted to do a pay it forward after the girls whom I had only known on line(other than a couple) helped me ride across the USA. They took me into their homes, fed me, rode with me, took care of me in their country and passed me along to the next gal in the next state. It truly was amazing and it drew alot of attention. So much attention that people began to dislike me in my home town. I hated that part.. so I figured with paying it forward and turning it into a fundraiser it would not only do good, but they would stop with the nonsense. There were many gals that I met on the internet Women Who Ride  Forum run by Donna Palladino that wanted to ride, but were not well enough. I met a few of those beautiful ladies on this years Conga. The lady who you see in all the pics with me right to the end, is a survivor so yes it means alot to me.
But.....in my heart my dear, I am riding for my sister Janet. She too had colon cancer and we lost her 14 years ago last month. So the pink eveyone knows for BC I kind of joke once in awhile and say I look better with pink on me and my bike rather than colons. We are riding for anyone that has been affected by cancer. yourself included . It is gut wrenching but with BC now that we have raised almost 50,0000.00 to date
I am hoping we are making a difference. If we can kick one to the curb there will be more for the next.
i think i've mentioned to you in the past that i am a cancer survivor, but not breast cancer. i know that breast cancer seems to get the most attention, even more than lung cancer, but i sometimes wonder if people realize that there are other types out there. when i mention that i am a survivor, the first thing i get asked is, "was it breast cancer?" people look almost stunned when i tell them, "no, it's not breast cancer." it's almost as though if one is a woman adn has cancer, it has to be breast cancer. i then try to explain what a neuroendocrine carcinoid is. some days i simply tell them colon cancer, as it's easier. i tell them that because that's where one of the tumors was found. it's amazing how little knowledge people have of their own bodies.

ahh, i didn't mean to get off on that subject, flo; please forgive me. i hope that wherever you are the weather is fine for riding, and that you're having a blast doing whatever you're doing. until the next time, take care, ride safe and God 
bless.

A pleasure talking with you. I hope to meet you some day, I have not been quite that fare east yet. I am happy to say that part of the conga next year will be in Canada as more people catch on. It will be in Shell Wyoming this year a very small town... Why, because they treated us so dang good and helped us raise 4,000 in one nigh, and they want us to come back.

Conga Line...a group of mostly women riders, dancing across the country on motorcycles riding for a great cause.

You take care my friend.. stay positve, and ride as much as you can...
xoxo
smiles-

No comments: