Friday, September 10, 2010

Day 3 Leaving Wenatchee

Lordy Lordy I been back from the Conga just over a month now. I have been procrastinating about going back to blogging.  Something keeps holding me back, but with each person I talk to about it, many have said that things just weren't right with out the blog as we  had our Spirit Riders and the only way they could follow was on Facebook through pics and the odd comment. So anyway here I am again, trying to continue.. I have to go back and look at pics to remind me of what went on. some things come so naturally and the stories can just pour out.


Now as I read my last posting I recall why I stopped blogging in the first place. It was day 3 that left a bad taste in my mouth :( It is funny also I could not find my day 3 pictures anywhere up until yesterday. It was like they were lost for a reason. We were all meeting and greeting the night before most for the first time. It had been along day and I was pooped and excited at the same time. Forgot to mention HOT and about ready to have a melt down if I didn't get to the room and run my head under the water. Every one was excited.
 Tim and Erin (now Bubbles and Braman) meeting us for the first time were an instant absolute hoot. You can see their get up in the pictures.  They live in Spokane Washington and were hooking up with us for a  only that night and the Cruisers Bar trip. Now this was one enthusiastic couple. Tim is a big boy bigger than my brother Wilbur even. He is deaf, but doesn't miss a thing some how. Funny and compassionate as hell. Later in the day I would find that out. Actually I would have to say that about the whole crew we were traveling with when the fubar took place.
Peppercat whom I had met only once on the Island at one of our fundraisers showed up. Apparently she had some pretty rough weather to travel through to get there, but she made it. I didn't recognize her at first as she had her hair down, no sun glasses or pink. Good we were all there safe and sound and Biird would arrive in the morning to lead us to our next destination. We were to all meet at 9:am except for Pepper. We were to call her when we were ready to leave the dealership as she can't get up early do to her health. I said I would call. This was where I made my first error looking back. I know now, that I will not be responsible for anyone. Here is the time we leave please be there. It was stressful keeping track of everyone. Like I had to do a head count. Heck I have hard enough time being on time myself lol.
We all gathered up in our room to get to know each other a little better. I tried to blog even though I didn't want to. We knew our first stop was at the Harley Dealership in Wenatchee. I forget the name of it but we were there at the last Conga. They treated us so well. This was a new location but the same lovely gal. Chrissy, probably spelling it wrong. She had some stories to tell that were very gut wrenching herself. I will get to that later.
Tanyas mother and sister came to see us as did Biirds mother. We had a great visit took lots of pics.
The reason we were had to be there, other than the fact we wanted to go check it out was that Willi, was having issues with her bike. It kept dying on her. Like the battery would not stay charged and Wilbur was always push starting it. It was very frustrating for Willi. We all figured it was pretty minor and things would work out once it was checked over. I can't remember the times now but we were running late for sure and Biird was getting antsy to get us on the road. She had the whole trip and mileage thing figured out so as we didn't have to travel at night or that we could get to our next destination on time. She kept saying... We got to go Flo. I'm like... poor Willi we can't leave her behind. We can't leave anyone behind. Of course I would feel responsible. 
I talked to Willi and she told me, she had to sit and wait for a part that it would be a day at least. I felt sick to my stomach that we would have to leave her.  She told me she was a big girl, and would meet up with us. Not to worry she said, that Pepper had already booked an extra night at the hotel just in case that this would happen. that way the two of them could travel together and catch up. Wow! What a relief that was to hear. I still didn't like leaving anyone behind, but was convinced by everyone, including Willi, it was the thing we had to do. I assumed (never assume anything) that Willi would go back in a few minutes and explain everything to Pepper and all would be good....Wrong!!!
Anyway, away we went heading to Cruiser Bar in Post Falls. There were some gals that were coming out to meet us. Jody, Dianna, and Joan, I believe. Away we went, Biird and her crew. So many thoughts going through my head, worried about Willi, and Pepper meeting up with us. So proud of Biird for being road leader, when I met her last year she didn't even ride. Here she was the mother hen taking care of all of us. Seeing Braman and Bubbles in all their pinkness riding with us strangers, like we had know each other for years.. Riding with my brother in all his pinkness and going the whole trip. Fancy my friend, and survivor, going the whole trip. and Tanya, who had come to rescue me the year before. Here we were on a mission, the pink warriors. 
We had already made our goal of $14,000.00 before leaving Vancouver Island and now we were hitting the USA making our way towards Cheyenne Wyoming our destination of our little convention of Women Who Ride from Facebook. Internet friends, two countries working together for the same cause. Life was good. I felt good. I could not get the smile off my face as we road down the  highway, with pink feathers flying, bling pinging me from my windshield, breast cancer magnets flying in the air. We were a sight to behold. The two Cabana boys Wilbur and Braman pinker than the rest of us. The honks we would get, the thumbs up, yells from passer byers. It was a great feeling we were drawing the attention and awareness and having fun doing it.
We stopped along the way for photo ops and each time we stopped people would want to have their picture taken with us. This is how we collected money. We would say sure, for a small donation for Breast Cancer. If they gave us $10 we would have a token gift of a magnet, or scarf, key chain whatever, we had alot of little things. Most were very generous. Also we passed out business cards so they could see it was for real and follow us along the way. I still feel so bad for not blogging and next years it will be the most important thing.
We continues on our journey towards Cruisers Bar to meet our new sisters and to do a little fundraising. We also had been there last year and Sheri, the owner and BC surviver was going to be there and told us we could do what ever it took to raise some money while we were there. Braman cup would runnith over.
Biird our road leader pulled off to the side of the road and pulled out her map. Did this mean she was lost?? Nope, just wanted to be sure she knew where she was taking us. It was time for a break anyway. The funniest thing happened at that moment.. We heard someone say... omg, that is the Conga!! Hey Eric, hey Flo fancy meeting you here. It was a lady friend of Erics who had supported us a lot at our car washes at home with our fundraising. She was renting a cabin right there. Small world for sure. She invited us up for water or if we needed anything to come on up. Can you believe it?  This type of thing would happen numerous times over the journey. we would hear people yelling CONGA!!! as they wizzed by in their vehicles giving us the thumbs up.
Okay that moment didn't last long as I answered my phone as it was beeping :(
Good Lord, I can not repeat the conversation but all of a sudden my knees started to tremble, I felt like I was going to throw up.. or pass out. It was the unthinkable... we left someone behind. We did not ditch anyone, we assumed it was all okay. It wasn't! No one knew what was going on at that minute, as I could not speak, only cry.. Why, why, was I such an idiot I kept thinking to myself, how could I do that?? I thought I had things in control and again, I say, never assume anything.  I let the others hear what I had heard and told them I was going no where until this was settled. We tried calling  her cell, the hotel, HD,nothing was working other than yes she had called these places looking for us and was very distraught. This was the first time in  ever in my mind, that I would lead myself back to Wenatchee and grab our rider and make things better. I couldn't believe this was happening. We ended up being on the side of the road for a couple hours trying to figure out what to do. Braman was even going to go back, I also said I would sit at the side of the road till she got here. Long story short, I was convinced that we had to move on, and things would work themselves out. It was a sad day for all. I know I would NEVER intentionally ever leave anyone behind. It got worse before it got better, and I don't want to go into it anymore.
We reached Cruisers bar where the gals were there to greet us. It was hard to put on a happy face, but with the help of others and one look at everyone in there pinkness and smiles it soon passed enough for me to enjoy what was going on. Feeling horrible for the two riders who were left behind. That was until Sherri the bar owner said she had had a call from the deserted rider saying that she even offered to go get her with a truck and trailer. Told me not to worry and get on with the fundraising in her bar, that it was an accident , not a planned thang. This too shall pass.
Braman went around with his wife Bubbles collecting money in his bra for the cause. The gals were buying stuff off us and Im sure we raised a couple hundred dollars at cruisers. Braman and Bubbles were going to be leaving us not to soon after we left Cruisers so he wanted to pass his bra on to Wilbur. I can't say that Wilbur was to happy about that, but was relieved when it was too small. He did wear it for while but ended up giving it back. 
It was just amazing how this couple were such a close part of the Conga III in such a very short time with us. It felt like we had known each other for a very long time. I am very proud to get to know them. Here is hoping they will be at the next and the next and the next.
We had to get to Superior for the night.  We were now down to one American Biird and 4 Canadians. The newbie rider on her big Street Glide getting us to where we were going for the night. Superior. The motel was okay, friendly but not one I would probably stay at again. People thought we were

These are the bracelets I have made every year for the Conga. I get them made in Mexico, we sell them for 5 bucks, and ask people to wear them until we get home safely. Most tie them to their handlebars when the ride is over. These bracelets raised $1500 this year. This shot has always been one of my favorite, along with the Conga poses.

No comments: