Sunday, December 5, 2010

Day 13 the dessert New Mexico

Just before we left never Harris replaced my head light. Luckily he had and old one he didn't need and he was kind enough to give it to me. That saved me a few bucks at least for a couple hours or so. We were headed to New Mexico in the scorching heat.  I don't even think we go out of the state of Colorado, when this  pick up truck goes flying by us on a double lane, with shit flying out of his truck. He must have had loose gravel, because it hit my headlight, the glass shattered and was flying at me. The rock some how hit my finger and it instantly swelled  up. It scared the crap out of me so I pulled over to the side of the road. Wilbur and Fancy were pretty far ahead. I knew Wilbur would be back to see if I was okay. We couldn't believe it, we were now on the look for the next Harley dealership to replace it. I think I had the new one for a couple hours. Win some and loose some. No worries, our next destination Sand Dunes.



With out a doubt this picture does not capture the Sand Dunes. We hung around there for a little while. All these stopping places are a great way to raise money. People just can't help asking what our story is.
So off we go to our next destination. Again, we had people honking at us, even trains were pulling their horns. An amazing site watching the two pink bikes in front of me, owning the whole highway. 
Fancy and I ride alot together so we pretty much can read how each other handle the road like slowing down or changing pace, how to take the curves etc. We also got to know Bro Wilbur. He would be keeping a steady pace, the speed limit..then head goes down, he slow right down.. Fancy and I realize he is playing with his dang ipod.. It worried me at first, I would always think about him falling asleep.
The heat is getting unbearable!! We all knew we would not make a full day of riding when you want to pull over every 15 minutes soak yourself down and hoping the bikes would cool of too. We would be getting off the bikes in hysterics trying to describe how effin hot it was. 
I cant remember where it was but we came to this tiny little Mexican village out in the middle of no where. I kept looking at my gas gage, thinking that it might be a great idea to find some fuel. Wilbur was thinking the same thing so we pulled up to this work yard to ask someone, he said the next town with fuel is 30 miles thata way. Wilbur was pretty darn sure he was not going to make it. I was iffy on mine but thought I should just make it. Which meant Fancy would be fine to. Down the road a little ways there is this guy standing there with  his work sign and a radio. There was us and him and nothing else around for miles except for the other guy on the end of his radio, who knows how many miles down the road. He looked at us,and away and back again....Hijola!!! (Son of a!!) He couldn't believe what he was seeing, 3 pink smurfs...lol We chatted it up a bit then started talking on his radio again. His buddy on the other end was pretending to be an Cop, told him to get off his frequency. He had him going for awhile. They were just bored and playing. I heard him call him a Cabarone (ass in a nice way). I told him to tell them 3 pink smurfs were coming that way on motorcycles with feathers flying wanting money. He did and there was a lot of laughter then he waved us through. We were honking our horns and pulling feathers off our boas and letting them fly waving good by. A little fun on the highway.
So now the question was, are we going to make it to the next gas station or not?? We did just the speed limit as a matter of fact a little under. Fancy and I smilin at each other shaking our head at Wilbur, nervous at the same time we were going to be caught on the side of the road in this heat. I looked in my mirrors, and thought to myself....I THINK WE GOT US A CONVOY!!! There was a whole lot of truckers waiting to pass the pink Smurfs The must have been thinking we were out of our minds never mind on the verge of running out of full. We waived them on by, again honking away they were. Whelp...we made it, most definitely running on fumes.!!!

No comments: